Floor outlet and phone jack

Old 02-03-05, 09:59 AM
tim_gardner
Visiting Guest
Floor outlet and phone jack

We're building a house and the builder wired for a floor outlet in my study and he also ran a phone line as well. Now a different electrician is finishing the house out and he says he can't find a round floor receptacle that has both an outlet and a phone jack. Is this a hard item to find? Any suggestions where I can look if he can't find it? Otherwise he could wire the outlet but I'm not sure what to do with the phone line. I guess for internet access I could set up a wireless network in the house with high speed access on the server then I wouldn't really need the phone line....

Help...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-05, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tim,

I am not sure they make a Combo floor Recp and Tel jack unit but I know they do for Cat 5 which will work..

I suggest you call your local electrical supply house and they should have TONS of references for you on this in fact they may have something that falls under the CAT 5 wiring that can work......

But I do suggest you call your local electrical supply house and ask for sales and ask someone and if they cant assist ask to speak to someone in intergrated wiring and they might be able to assist you.

NO WAIT.......Check this out..

http://www.twacomm.com/Catalog/Model...KPGFCXXMGM6035

Cut and paste the link above...they have a few data boxes and receptable combos.....if the link does not work...just go to www.twacomm.com and do some searchs....you should be able to find them....

Old 02-03-05, 11:17 AM
You can't put them in the same box unless the line and low voltage sides of the box are physically separated by a partition. The box that Electrician Man provided the reference to seems to meet this criteria.

But it's usually a bad idea to put electrical outlets and communications wiring in the same vicinity because of possible interference.

Old 02-03-05, 11:22 AM
John,

This box is designed for this operation. However, What I did not want to post was a basic suggestion....

Suggestion I was going to post was simply have the electrician cut in a new telephone box close to the floor receptable box.....as in a pinch I would do that before searching the world over for a special box...but heck I knew here one was so I submitted it...lol

Personally....as a contractor If I ran into this I would simply cut a new floor box for the telephone jack.......I know..I know...dont want to many jacks in your floor do ya Tim.......it it is a hardwood floor...the additional brass cover will look ok......but again as you stated..it depends on the USE of the area and how bad you want to access the phone line from that point....

Old 02-04-05, 06:58 AM
tim_gardner
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help. My wife doesn't even want one box in the floor but we felt it was a necessary evil since the desk will be in the center of the room. I can't get by without electricity for the desk, but I can get by without a phone line as long as I do wireless internet. I think I'll have him leave the phone line down there but just make the electrical available at the floor jack. Is it alright to leave the unused phone line under there or will it still cause interference and reflections in the phone system troughout the house?

Old 02-04-05, 10:37 AM
just disconnect the other end of the wire

Old 02-04-05, 02:00 PM
Tim,

It wont harm anything....you can leave it if you wish.