snaking ciruit in old house

Old 02-03-05, 08:53 PM
Talking snaking ciruit in old house

I have a 100 year old house with Ballon framing. I know if I can get some 12/2 lines (for each circuit) to the attic, I can re-wire much of the 2nd floor fairly easily. I have found a place in the wall that is clear through from basement to attic between 2 studs. Is it alright to run 5 or 6 separate circuit lines up through the same path? Is there any limit as long as the space in not crowded free of obstructions? THanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-05, 09:04 PM
No problem....count your lucky stars.

Old 02-03-05, 09:21 PM
To add...remember to fasten your cables (staple) after fishing into the wall cavity also when they exist in the attic.

Old 02-04-05, 08:55 AM
daves_trip
Visiting Guest
since you have found this convenient route, it seems likely you will want to open the walls. since you won't open the walls then you wont be able to staple wires down inside the walls, only at the beginning and end of the chase. you may want to use MC or BX cable since that will provide an added degree of protection from errant drilling, nailing, and screwing operations in the future. yours and the next person's. you really don't want NM cable just floating around in the walls.

dave in dc

Old 02-04-05, 08:56 AM
daves_trip
Visiting Guest
I meant to say "UN-likely". sorry

Originally Posted by daves_trip
since you have found this convenient route, it seems likely you will want to open the walls. since you won't open the walls then you wont be able to staple wires down inside the walls, only at the beginning and end of the chase. you may want to use MC or BX cable since that will provide an added degree of protection from errant drilling, nailing, and screwing operations in the future. yours and the next person's. you really don't want NM cable just floating around in the walls.

dave in dc

Old 02-05-05, 07:35 AM
It is perfectly acceptable to have NM cable floating in the walls. There is no need for any other type of cable.