Cooktop & Built-in oven wiring?

Old 02-04-05, 09:28 AM
brianosaur
Visiting Guest
Cooktop & Built-in oven wiring?

I am replacing the range I have with a seperate cooktop & built-in oven. The current range has a 8 guage, 40 amp breaker set up. The cable is only two wire with a braded silver colored ground (aluminum?) and NO white wire.

This old unarmored cable runs right out of the drywall and is hardwired directly to the range.

I was planning on running one new seperate 3 wire 8g & 40a for the new oven, but was going to use the old wire and breaker for the new cooktop.

1.) Should I run TWO new 8g cables (on seperate 2pole 40a breakers of course) and get rid of this old cable?

2.) Can I just hardwire the new units from a cable running through a hole in the drywall like the old range, or should there be junction boxes in the wall and armored cable running to the new appliances? Or 220v outlets and plugs like my clothes dryer?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-05, 11:29 AM
Run one new 6-3 w/g on a 50A breaker to a junction bx between the units, splice in 2 taps from here to feed both units, discard the old cable

Old 02-04-05, 12:19 PM
brianosaur
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Jedi9
Run one new 6-3 w/g on a 50A breaker to a junction bx between the units, splice in 2 taps from here to feed both units, discard the old cable
Already bought 1 cable 8g 3w cut to length off a big spool. I doubt they'll take it back. I will just run another one I guess. I have enough breaker slots.

Thanks though.

What about question #2 - hardwired through the drywall?

Old 02-04-05, 01:10 PM
I'm thinking back to the last ones I put in. I think ea came with a MC cable pigtail.. For the stove top I put a j-box on the floor of the cabinet and ran the pigtail through the cabinet. The oven I mounted a j-box on the back wall, watch the depth, though. You know, check the amp draw on ea, I'm thinking one will be on a smaller circuit.