Grounding Whirlpool Heater and Motor

Old 02-04-05, 09:41 AM
Charlie
Visiting Guest
Question Grounding Whirlpool Heater and Motor

undefined I am running two seperate dedicated 120VAC/15amp dedicated circuits with GFCI ptotection. One line for the Whirlpool Heater and the other dedicated line for the Whirlpool Pump/Motor. I also need to run a #8 AWG copper ground wire from the electrical panel to the bonding connectors on the Pump/Motor and Heater. My question is can I run ONE LINE (Tie them together) #8 AWG copper grond wire "TOGETHER" for Both, the Pump/Motor and the Heater? Thanks Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-05, 10:02 AM
Are you using conduit or cable? Are you talking about the EGC (the wire from the panel to the outlet)? Are you talking about using one #8 EGC to serve both circuits? Why #8?

Old 02-04-05, 08:03 PM
Charlie
Visiting Guest
Reply To John Nelson

Using Cable #12 with ground. 2 each dedicated line's from electric panel to 2 seperate outlet boxes with GFCI outlets one for the Heater and one for Pump/Motor. Pump and Heater has pre-installed 3 prong cords plug which will plug into the two seperate dedicated GFCI outlets. "Mfg Installation Instructions says the following: Install a seperate 120VAC / 15 AMP dedicated circuit with GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interruper) protection. With a No. 8 solid copper wire. bond the heater to the homes electrical panel or approved local bonding point. A bonding lug has been provided on the Heater". There is also a bonding lug on the Pump/Motor, can I run one #8 solid copper wire from the heater to the pump/motor and then on to the electric panel. Therefore Tied together? Thanks Charlie

Old 02-04-05, 08:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Another misinterpretation of the code by a manufacturer. The intent of the #8 is to bond, not ground. There is a difference.
The #8 can go from the motor, through a bond clamp on a cold water pipe, to the heater. All equipment effectively bonded.

Is you description verbatim? Or is there more?
Approved local bonding point is the water pipe.

Old 02-04-05, 10:07 PM
Charlie
Visiting Guest
Reply to Speedy Petey

Thank you for your answer. My description in Quotes is Verbatim from the MFG. I understand what you are saying. Thanks for your time. Charlie P.S. In the future if the Cold Water Pipe is replaced with plastic what do you recommend for a new bonding point?

Old 02-04-05, 10:28 PM
Bond all the metallic parts.