OT: Mid Span Tap?

Old 02-04-05, 10:04 AM
hth
Angry OT: Mid Span Tap?

I going to move an old 100A panel with pushmatic breakers to another location and by the way upgrade it to 200A. I pulled the permit from city, had the utilities company inspected new location. The inspector from utility company said I need a mid span tap because my house is in the middle b/w the poles and running new cables from either poles to my house must go over roof in neighbor which isn't allowed. That is a safety and clearance issue. I agreed with that but the problem is the utility company wanted me to pay for the cost of the mid span tap! They said it must be designed by an engineer so the cost is that much. Even if I don't want to move the panel they still need to run new wires for 200A. I just don't understand here. All I know is anything from the meter to my house is mine and I pay for these; anything from the meter back to the street is theirs and they pay for those. Like you order TV cable, DSL and ever they charge the customers for running the cable from the poles to the house? In your career have you ever seen this similar problem? Am I charged unreasonably because the utility company is the only one providng the service so they don't care about competitors?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-05, 10:22 AM
First time I've heard about anything like this. I've had elec utilities charge extra for an underground service. It makes no sense to me, I would think they would just stick up another pole off to the side of your house.

Old 02-04-05, 10:23 AM
Smile

Oh, sorry, just noticed your location, please disregard above

Old 02-04-05, 06:52 PM
WFO
"Mid span tap" means they will have to insert a pole on the primary (high voltage) line. The cost will be in the pole and the fact that the crews will probably have to insert the new pole with the line energized, which makes the installation more costly due to the extra labor involved with safety issues.
Engineering will amount to driving a stake in the appropriate spot and taking a lot of credit for it.

Old 02-04-05, 07:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not in my experience. A "mid-span-tap" is a tap off the middle of a span, meaning between poles. They insert a plastic separator/spacer between the triplex with a heavy wire loop to connect the drop to.
No engineering involved and surely no cost to the customer. Then again, as stated, you are in Cali. Yes, that is me rolling my eyes. Sorry.

Old 02-04-05, 07:24 PM
WFO
By "mid-span" we're both defining the same thing. I guess the defining point here is whether it is primary voltage or secondary voltage (what we call underbuilt in Texas).
Can't comment too much on remarks about California since the idiots in charge here also went the de-regulation route.

Old 02-04-05, 07:33 PM
I have never seen a primary mid span tap. Especially the drop to a house.

Old 02-04-05, 07:48 PM
WFO
I hope I didn't give the wrong impression here, but I did mean that they would insert the pole, install a transformer on it, and run the service drop to the house. Bear in mind in a rural area where I live the house in question might be the only one between the poles and nobody wants to run a 200 foot service drop.
Since they're charging him so much, I don't know how it could be anything else.

Old 02-05-05, 07:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A electric company in Maryland also chages extra for a mid span tap. This involves the connection like Petey said, a conection between two poles. The charge here is about $1500 if I remember correctly.

Old 02-05-05, 08:15 AM
Amazing. $1500 for such a simple operation. Really not much more than replacing an existing drop.

Old 02-07-05, 12:01 PM
hth
i talked to the engineer and he said that no new pole involved, simply just tap the electric at the middle b/w 2 poles and from there run new wires to my house. It is not Edison. This is the city of Anaheim where it has it own resources of electricity.

Old 02-07-05, 02:26 PM
WFO
I stand corrected. We're a very rural cooperative and mid-span has an entirely different meaning to us.
However, being with a "POCO" myself, I'm a little embarrassed that you're getting that kind of treatment. Their "engineers" must be deperate for work.