Wiring Bath Fan / Light

Old 02-05-05, 07:04 PM
bigbillya
Visiting Guest
Wiring Bath Fan / Light

I am replacing my old bath fan / light and do not remember how the old one was wired. I have two separate switches operating the unit. One operates the fan and one operated the light. I have two cables entering the fan. One cable has a black / white / ground and one cable has a red / black / white / ground. The fan unit has one black / white to hook up the fan and one black / white to hook up the lighting unit. The switch for the fan is wired with a white / black combination and the switch for the light is wired with a red / black combination with all the white cables in the box pigtailed together. I am confused about the what to do with the red / black / white / ground cable. I am almost done with the project, but did not expect this setback. HELP. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-05, 07:28 PM
Is the fan and light one unit, or are they separate units?

Your description of the switches seems contradictory. You said that all the white wires in the box are connected together, but you also said that the fan switch had a white wire connected to it. Can you clarify this, and also clarify how many cables are coming into the switch box?

Old 02-05-05, 08:07 PM
bigbillya
Visiting Guest
BathFan / Light Install

Let me clarify:

The unit is wired as one unit. The wiring box consists of a black white cable to power the fan and one black white cable to power a plug that will hold the lighting unit

There are two cables running intto the fan / light from the attic: One cable is a black / white / ground and the other is a red / black / white / ground

There are two switches that power the fan / light unit.

(1) Switch is wired with a black / white ground

(2) The other switch is one of three along with a plug unit. The other two switches operate the two vanity lights in the bathroom. There are four cables running into that box. It seems like all of the white wires are wrapped together and all of the black wires are also, with jumpers coming out of that bundle. The one cable also has a red wire and that wire is wired to the switch in the box that operated the light unit of the fan.

I hope this helps. Thanks.

Old 02-05-05, 08:47 PM
Here's what it looks like:
  • The black/red/white/bare cable is coming to the fan/light from the light switch. The red wire is a switched hot for the light. The black wire is an unswitched hot. The white wire is the neutral.
  • The black/white/bare cable is a switch loop for the fan.
So here's how it connects together:
  1. The red wire should connect to the black wire of the light.
  2. The black wire from the black/red/white/bare cable should connect to the white wire from the black/white/bare cable.
  3. The black wire from the black/white/bare cable should connect to the black wire from the fan.
  4. The white wire from the black/red/white/bare cable should connect to the white wires from both the fan and the light.
  5. All bare wires together.

Old 02-06-05, 07:42 AM
bigbillya
Visiting Guest
Bath Fan / Light Project

JOHN. YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!! I wired the unit this morning after dreaming about white / black / red combinations. THANKS for your help. Project completed, just took a little longer than expected. THANKS again. BIGBILLYA