Previous homeowner left me with a puzzle

Old 02-06-05, 07:00 AM
gravitation
Visiting Guest
Previous homeowner left me with a puzzle

I've been researching this for a few weeks now and I'm at my wit's end. Any Information or advice will be greatly appreciated.

A year ago I bought a house which was built in 1988. None of the four bedrooms or the living room have any light fixtures (we're using floor lamps). Rest of the house has plenty of lights fixtures. There are Recessed ceiling lights in kitchen and family room and two chandeliers. There is even wiring done for automating skylights (without the automated openers). There's wiring done for garage door openers (even though there were no garage door openers installed).

All the rooms that are missing light fixtures do have electrical switches which currently do nothing!

All this leads me to believe that the previous owners of the house had the wiring done for ceiling lights but did not bother to install the fixtures. I don't have any wiring diagrams for the house.

How do I find out if my assumption is correct, that is, does there exist electrical wiring under those finished ceilings? I'd prefer not to keep drilling holes in the ceiling till I find some electrical box. My goal is to install ceiling lights.

Thanks,
Gravity

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-05, 07:15 AM
I would suspect that the switch in each of the bedrooms and the living room controls a receptacle and is not for a ceiling light.
Plug a lamp into each receptacle in each room and try the switch to see if it turns the lamp on and off. Make sure you try both halves of each duplex receptacle as only one half may be "switched".
If the switch does nothing and you have attic access over these rooms you can take a peek from the attic to see if there is wiring for a ceiling light.
Good luck

Old 02-06-05, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Buzz
I would suspect that the switch in each of the bedrooms and the living room controls a receptacle...Make sure you try both halves of each duplex receptacle as only one half may be "switched".
This is exactly how my house is wired. The bedroom light switches control one half of one of the receptacles in the room. Took me a while to figure this out but looking back, I guess it makes sense to do things that way.

Old 02-06-05, 07:45 AM
gravitation
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Thanks Buzz and Arcas! All switches control some receptacle or the other. Can't believe I didn't think of it sooner.