Wiring a Sears Electric Cooktop

Old 02-06-05, 06:37 PM
C Shuey
Visiting Guest
Wiring a Sears Electric Cooktop

I am redmodeling a kitchen and installing a new Kenmore Elite 30" Electric Cooktop Model # 911.44022. It did not come with installation instructions and I called the parts center and all they resent me was the USe and Care Guide.

The question I have is that there are only 3 wires. A red, a black and a sold bare copper (Ground I would guess). There is no white neutral. The specifications call for a 40 amp circuit.

Do I wire the Red and the Black in the Double Pole 40 amp breaker and wire the copper to the neutral white supply lead? Do I include the Ground from the supply along with the neutral and the ground wire from the cooktop?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-05, 06:41 PM
Don't install it without the installation instructions. Unless this is a discontinued model, the installation instructions can usually be found on the manufacturer's web site.

The cooktop needs no neutral. Red and black go to the breaker. Bare is grounding. If you ran a white wire in addition to a grounding wire, then leave the white wire unconnected at both ends.

If you need more help, be more precise about what wires you have from the cooktop, and what wires you have from the wall.

Old 02-07-05, 11:03 AM
hth
http://web.appliance411.com/parts/sears.shtml

read this site you can find out who made the cooktop. The thing I don't like about Sears' products is you can't download installation guides and manuals from internet. I just bought a Maytag cooktop from Sears and all helpful downloads are available from Maytag's web site.