Wiring an Oven

Old 02-07-05, 11:14 AM
hth
Question Wiring an Oven

I am remodeling the kitchen. The wall oven has 4 wires: red, black, white, and bare. The power comes from the wall has 3 wires: red, black, and white. Per instruction from http://www.maytag.com/cust_serv/pdf_...101p537-60.pdf the bare wire should be connected to the white wire. However the old wiring had the bare wire from the oven connected to the frame of oven. I asked an electrician and he said I can ignore the bare wire, just leave it there unconnected. I am not really quite sure to hookup the oven with what the electrician said. Please comment. Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-05, 12:49 PM
Follow the manufacturers instructions.

Old 02-07-05, 03:22 PM
hth
what would happen if I leave the bare wire alone as the old wiring did and as the electrician said?

Old 02-07-05, 06:24 PM
The metal frame of the oven won't be grounded. A short circuit to the frame could get the next person who opens the door electrocuted.

Old 02-08-05, 08:36 AM
JDGJr
Visiting Guest
Similar wiring question

My situation is similar to the original, except the 3 aluminum wires from my breaker box are black, red and bare. My new-to-me oven has 4 wires: black, red, white and green.

So I'd connect both the green and white oven wires to the bare wire from the breaker, correct?

thanks

Old 02-08-05, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by JDGJr
My situation is similar to the original, except the 3 aluminum wires from my breaker box are black, red and bare. My new-to-me oven has 4 wires: black, red, white and green.

So I'd connect both the green and white oven wires to the bare wire from the breaker, correct?

thanks
Yessssssss (sorry, had to use 10 characters)

Old 02-08-05, 09:40 AM
hth
Thumbs up

thx you guys.