GFI for laundry appliances

Old 02-07-05, 01:19 PM
GFI for laundry appliances

I've read on this site that washers and dryers should not be served by a GFI because their motors often have enough leakage current to ground that they would regularly trip the GFI. If this is so, what do I do if the outlet is also within a few feet of a faucet? (btw, what is the minimum distance from faucet to a non-GFI outlet?)
thanks..

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-05, 02:11 PM
There is no requirement that a receptacle be GFCI protected because it within a few feet of a faucet. It's a good idea, but not a requirement.

Just how often do you intend to plug and unplug your washer and/or dryer anyway?

Note that kitchens have requirements for GFCIs, but these have nothing to do with faucets.

Old 02-07-05, 02:54 PM
If you want GFCI, go ahead and install it. 98% of the time you'll be okay, and if you're in the 2%, take the GFCI back out again.

Old 02-08-05, 06:31 AM
thanks.. i (incorrectly) assumed that a gfi was required for outlets within x feet of a faucet - hence bathrooms and kitchens (plus outdoors). i don't intend to unplug the washer more than every 10 years or so - not sure what that had to do with the issue, please clarify.
thanks..

Old 02-08-05, 07:01 AM
There's only one place in the code where the "within x feet" rule still applies to GFCI, and that's for wet bars. Many people remember the old rule for kitchens that required GFCI within 6 feet of the sink, but that rule has been obsolete for many years now. The code doesn't really define general rules for GFCI placement. It just lists the places where they are required.

Old 02-08-05, 08:10 AM
My comment about unplugging the washer had to with accidentally touching the prongs of the plug while removing it, creating a ground fault. A washer that is properly grounded is not likely to generate a groud fault on it's own.