Question about a remodel project

Old 02-07-05, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about a remodel project

Iím planning on adding a dormer to my house to get some use out of my small attic. My house currently has 60 AMP service. I will be upgrading to 200 AMP service. Can I use my existing breaker panel ad a sub panel in the attic? If so what gauge wire should I use between the new 200 AMP panel and what size conduit should I run to the attic?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-05, 06:26 PM
Why do you want a sub panel in the attic? Just run a new circuit or two to the attic from your new panel.

Old 02-08-05, 07:17 AM
The old panel is probably obsolete. Small new panels are inexpensive.

The size of the conduit will depend on the size of the wire. The size of wire you use for the feeder depends on the distance between the panels and the amount of power you need from the subpanel in kilowatts. That will in turn determine the size of the breaker you need in the main panel to protect that feeder.

Does your city require conduit?

Last edited by John Nelson; 02-08-05 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-08-05, 02:16 PM
I was going to put a sub panel in the attic because I need about 4 new circuits in the attic. Currently there is one circuit in the attic for some lights. There is 1/2 conduit with 3 wires (hot, neutral and ground) 14 gauge in it. Could I just run another 6 wires in the condiit to give me the 3 additional circuits or is that too many wires in 1/2 conduit

Old 02-08-05, 05:41 PM
You are allowed a total of 13 #14 wires in a 1/2" conduit. Make sure however that whatever you will be powering won't need a 20 amp circuit. Allot of houses now are going to a #12 minimum wire size. If your just running a few lights and recepts, you should be fine. If you do decide to go to #12, you are only allowed 9 conductors in the pipe, which you should still be ok. If these new circuits will be going in the same existing half inch pipe but going to a seperate panel, via a split in a junction box, or some other way, you will need a seperate ground from each panel.

Best of luck,

Paul