Wiring question:

Old 02-07-05, 06:18 PM
Wiring question:

Can I put 2 GFCI's and one regular outlet on the same circuit? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-05, 06:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The easy answer is yes.

The long answer would require much more information from you.

What are the recetpacles feeding? What rooms basically?

Old 02-07-05, 07:57 PM
more info:

remodeling a kitchen. the two GFCI's are above a countertop, the other outlet is behind a new gas stove (for the oven light, timer, etc.)

Also: Do all have to be #12 on 20 amp breakers?

Old 02-07-05, 08:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No problem then.
You can save a GFI by using the load feature on the first GFI. I would not protect the receptacle behind the range. It is not required to be GFI protected and I have had problems in the past with stove ignitors tripping GFI's.
I would feed the receptacle behind the range first, then to a GFI with the load out to the second counter receptacle.

Old 02-07-05, 09:18 PM
Another question about this:

I understand what you're saying, thanks!

My only concern is (very minor!) if we were to sell the house, a buyer comes in and sees the the second countertop receptacle is NOT a GFCI, he might get worried. Also, both outlets being the same type looks better (says my wife.)

Anyway, could we use your suggestion but just make the second counter receptacle a GFCI?

Old 02-07-05, 10:14 PM
Make darn sure that your counter top receptacles are served by two 20 amp circuits and not one in order to be code compliant. It will fail inspection if both circuits dont show up at the countertop.

Old 02-08-05, 04:39 AM
Two circuits on countertop:

That was going to be my next question.

I've been reading back over some old messages on this board. A bit confused.

It's a rectangular kitchen, countertop and appliances along both side walls.

1. On one side, the two receptacles are separated by a sink. Are they still considered "adjacent" or can they be on one circuit?

2. On the other side, the two receptacles are separated by a stove. Same question?

3. Can one circuit feed a receptacle on one wall and on the opposite wall, and the other circuit do the same?

Old 02-08-05, 05:25 AM
Adjacent or separated by something doesn't mean a thing. All that is important is that at least two of the countertop receptacles be on different 20 amp circuits. Of course, those circuits can't serve anything else either.

Old 02-08-05, 07:59 AM
Don't mean to be dense, but....

Appreciate your reply, still unclear about part 3 of my question:

Can each of the two circuits include one GFCI countertop receptacle on each side of the room?

Old 02-08-05, 08:05 AM
The answer to (3) is yes.

Since you are rewiring a kitchen, and since there are a hundred codes that are specific to kitchens, I suggest that you take a more methodical approach to learning the kitchen codes. There's just too much chance that a few of them will miss your attention. I suggest the $6 green paperback, Wiring Simplified, available in the electrical aisle of Home Depot. Don't just use it as a reference book, but instead read it cover to cover.