GFI's/Multiple bathrooms

Old 02-09-05, 07:59 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool GFI's/Multiple bathrooms

I know that the NEC is tough to interpret sometimes, but can I have 3 separate GFI outlets (in three separate Bathrooms) on 1 shared 20 amp Circuit as long as there is nothing else on the circuit? I would like to save space for more circuits and 3 outlets is cetainly a low "pull" on a 20 amps circuit..but is this cool with the code??
:

Old 02-09-05, 08:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Yes, by Code the 3 receptacles can be in multiple bathrooms if they are only for the receptacles, ie no lights or fans etc.

Just installing the receptacles does not create any current draw. Only when an appliance is plugged in and on would you have current being drawn on the circuit.

However, you need to think about the chances that more than one will be in use at the same time with a hairdryer or curling iron. Two or more in use at the same time will probably trip the breaker.

There is nothing wrong with the one GFI protecting the 2 downstream receptacles. But is can be inconvienent if it trips and you need to leave the room to reset it. To avoid this you could just install 3 GFI receptacles and only wire to the line side.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: