Eliminate a switch

Old 02-09-05, 05:46 PM
mitchman333
Visiting Guest
Eliminate a switch

OK strange question, but here goes...

I have two 3-way switches at two ends of the room, for remodeling reasons I need to eliminate one of the 3-way switches - without rewiring anything.

Is there an easy or best way to do this.....?

basically I want one switch to control the light even though herre is 3 conductor wire already pulled to the fixture. Any help or ideas would be great.

Thanks.

Mitchman

Old 02-09-05, 05:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
We need to know more about why you need to remove the switch. Are you removing the wall that contains it? Or can you leave a box with a blank cover plate at that location? There will be more questions for you later after you answer these.

Old 02-09-05, 07:05 PM
mitchman333
Visiting Guest
RE: Eliminate switch

Originally Posted by John Nelson
We need to know more about why you need to remove the switch. Are you removing the wall that contains it? Or can you leave a box with a blank cover plate at that location? There will be more questions for you later after you answer these.
OK, the wall remains but a soon to be constructed mantel/bookshelf will effectively cover up the location of the existing switch..... So I guess a blank cover box would be acceptable....

I have gone through all possible design scenarios and this seems to be the best, minus the switch issue....
Thank you.

Mitchman

Old 02-09-05, 07:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The box and the connections inside it must be permanently accessible. So you have to be able to get to it later without dismantling anything (moving furniture is okay).
  1. Shut off the breaker.
  2. Pull the switch out of the box.
  3. Remove the wire on the common screw (the black colored screw).
  4. Remove either of the other two wires (not counting the grounding wire).
  5. Use a wire nut to connect the two wires you removed to each other.
  6. Remove the last wire (not counting the grounding wire) from the switch and put a wire nut on it alone to electrically cap it off.
  7. Remove the grounding wire (if any) from the switch.
  8. Pack all the wires back in the box and put a blank cover plate on it.

Old 02-10-05, 10:14 AM
mitchman333
Visiting Guest
Thank you

John - thank you for the follow up and very simple, easy to follow steps. I tried it and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again.

Mitchman

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: