How to determine amps coming into house?

Old 02-09-05, 11:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
How to determine amps coming into house?

Hello all,

I am switching companies for my homeowners insurance and the new carrier needs to know what the amperage is coming into the house. The power company doesn't have that information and it's not in the home inspection report we had done before we bought the house. The house was built in 1960. Any help is appreciated.

Old 02-10-05, 04:55 AM
HandyRon's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 1,287
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most insurance companies want to know what size the main circuit breaker in your home is. This is somewhat of an overly simplified method of determining your service size. What this doesn't account for is the real service size including the incoming conductors capability to carry those amps, and the meter pan with its capabilities. It is also not completely accurate when you have more than one main circuit breaker for your home like a split bus type.
Old 02-10-05, 09:04 AM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 8,004
Received 501 Upvotes on 411 Posts
If you have breakers look on the main double pole breaker that shuts off the whole house. The value will be on the handles. Don't add them together. If they are 100 on each handle it is a 100 amp service.
If you have a fused main disconnect then you need to look at the size of the fuses. Again don't add them together. Two 100 amp fuses is a 100 amp service not a 200 amp service.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: