Adding New Light, Both wires are hot, help!

Old 02-10-05, 06:15 AM
Logan10
Visiting Guest
Question Adding New Light, Both wires are hot, help!

My bedroom had no ceiling light, only a wall switch that controlled a wall receptacle. I installed a ceiling fixture and ran a wire from it to the wall switch.

At the switched outlet, I removed the wires that were going to the wall switch, I joined the black wire to black, and the white wire to the neutral. This should have sent power back to the wall switch?

Then in the wall switch, i hooked black from the light to the switch, and black from the outlet to the switch. I connected their whites together. The light is not working.

I tested the wires coming out of the ceiling, when the switch is off, white has power, when it's on, they both have power, what could cause this?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-05, 06:28 AM
Tell us how many wires of each color are in the switch box. Do the same for the receptacle box. And tell us whether the switch controls (controlled?) both halves of the receptacle, or just one half.

Old 02-10-05, 06:47 AM
Logan10
Visiting Guest

The switch originally has 1 wire coming in from the bottom, which I assume runs right over to the switched outlet. The outlet was only switched on the top outlet. The outlet box has several wires in it, that's where it got confusing.

there are about 4 wires coming into the outlet box, one of them from the wall switch.

What I did was remove the black and white wires from the switched outlet, thinking that's the wires that control it and used them to feed the wall switch by joining them to the pigtails in the outlet box.

So now I have a ceiling light with a wire to the wall switch. Then there is a wire going from the wall switch to the outlet. Inside the switch I hooked the celing light black wire to the wall switch and the black wire from the outlet to the wall switch, joined their white wires. At the outlet box is where something weird has to be happening. One black wire nut has at least 5 wires connected right now, which is part of the reason it got confusing, i thought if I just take the wire going to the switch and give it power and a neutral, i would be set.

Does it at least sound like the ceiling light to the wall switch is setup right, I think the problem has to be at the outlet...

Old 02-10-05, 07:26 AM
What I did was remove the black and white wires from the switched outlet, thinking that's the wires that control it and used them to feed the wall switch by joining them to the pigtails in the outlet box
That's not enough.

In the receptacle box, all black wires should be connected together with two pigtails, one to each brass screw. All white wires should be connected togther with one pigtail, to either one of the silver screws.

If there are any red wires in the receptacle box (you didn't really answer my previous question about this), post back and let us know before proceeding.

Old 02-10-05, 07:45 AM
Logan10
Visiting Guest

Well I'm at work right now and just having to go off of memory here, sorry.

There does seem to be a red wire in the box, but I believe it was feeding the switched outlet in the other room, the rooms share one outlet box that goes all the way through the wall.

All of the white wires were pigtailed and one was on the silver screw of the outlet, then a black wire, I assumed from the switch, was connected to the top brass screw and controlled that outlet.

I'll just have to wait until I can get home and verify how everything is hooked up. Just wondering if there was a common cause of both wires being hot when the switch is on and neutral being hot when it's off.

Old 02-10-05, 08:16 AM
The white wire tested hot because it is hot. When you get home, you'll notice that in the receptacle box, you'll find a white wire connected to the black wires. That makes it hot. After you make the changes I suggested, there will no longer be a white wire connected to a black wire. That's what I meant when I said you didn't do enough in the receptacle box.