outlet problem

Old 02-10-05, 12:19 PM
bobd441
Visiting Guest
outlet problem

I have this outlet that isn't working. I have pulled it from the wall and the wires are connected properly. I have looked at the nearby working outlets, too, and there's nothing that looks wrong. I have plugged in a lamp and tried all the nearby switches.
Nothing.
I have one of those testers that you plug into the outlet and scan the main board for the correct breaker, but there is no power to the outlet, so it won't work.
Can I make up an extension with plugs on both ends and plug into the bad outlet and a working one to give it power, then check the board with that tester?
I actually have 3 outlets like this, and several wall switches that don't seem to operate anything, too! ...an electrician's dream! LOL

H E L P

Old 02-10-05, 12:26 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can I make up an extension with plugs on both ends and plug into the bad outlet and a working one to give it power, then check the board with that tester?
In my opinion, this is too dangerous, even for a temporary test. And I don't think the temporary test would help your troubleshooting anyway.

Please tell us exactly where within your house all the non-working receptacles are. And also tell us the exact connections (all the cables, all the wires, all the connections) in the box where you said that it was all connected properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: