Wiring Ethernet in Home

Old 02-11-05, 05:59 AM
DanS19
Visiting Guest
Wiring Ethernet in Home

I need to connect a computer on the 2nd floor to a Sony Playstation2 in the basement. It costs $90 for a wireless adapter, so I am considering having ethernet cable run to connect it. The cable would need to run from the 2nd floor through a finished wall on the first floor to an unfinished room in the basement and out a wall to the Playstation. What would this typically cost from a professional in Baltimore? Does it matter that my house is wired cat5? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-05, 06:58 AM
More than $90.

Old 02-11-05, 06:58 AM
The cost would depend on the difficulty of fishing the wire. I would think it would cost more then $90 though. I know I would charge more.

Ethernet runs over Cat5 wires. What type of internet connection do you have? How many computers? That would influence how you actually make the final connections.

Old 02-11-05, 07:06 AM
DanS19
Visiting Guest
Cable internet. Right now, I have one computer. Eventually I will be adding 2 more on the same floor as the computer. Do you know if the wireless solutions work well? I have seen mixed reviews. Regarding the wires, for the Playstation, they would need to go behind a finished wall on the second floor, down through a finished wall on the first floor, into an unfinished basement room, and out through a wall into a finished room. Is there any way to use the existing cat5 wiring to accomplish this, or is it a choice between wireless and adding new wiring for the network?

Old 02-11-05, 07:50 AM
Dan,
There are several competing standards for wireless today. The predominant one and the one I would reccomend is 802.11g. This runs at 54 Mbits/s and is backwards compatiable with 802.11b which runs at 11 Mbits/s. Both of these rates assume good signal quality between the nodes.

The wireless in my home works excellent. I can work from anywhere in my home and actually anywhere on my property with no reduction in bandwidth. I do not however have a basement and I have heard others report difficulties with connections into their basement. Most of these are people who have located their access points in the basement. This by the way is something that if you do not have you would have to purchase as well. I would reccomend that you purchase a wireless router (the access point is integrated into the router) that provides both wireless and four or five rj45 (wired) ports (costs around $50.00). All networked devices in your home would connect to this router and the router in turn is connected to the cable modem. These routers can support over 100 networked devices in the home.

I do not have any experience with gaming so I'm not sure what type of bandwidth is required for the playstation but I would guess that 54 Mbit is sufficient.

If you do decide to fish wire you probably want to use cat5e. Most installations today are done with this. Older cat5 cable does not give reliable connections at gigabit (1000 Megabits/s) speed. Ethernet can run at 10, 100, 1000, or 10000 Megabits/s. Almost all PC's built in the last 4 to 5 years support 100 Mbit/s. These connections are fine for Cat5. Many newer PCs are using gigabit (1000 Mbit) NICs (network interface cards)and in the near future I'm sure that many more will. These connections really need cat5e. You can ignore the 10000 Mbit/s as it is very new and will not be in the home in the forseeable future. If you would like more info let me know.
Scott

Old 02-11-05, 08:17 AM
DanS19
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help. I will be using the 802.11.g router from linksys(wrt54gs) with speed booster(gs), so I guess I'll try the wireless solution, and go to wired only if it isn't working out.

Old 02-11-05, 07:18 PM
Your cat 5 cable is all you need. If you have cat 5 to both locations then you are all done.

Old 02-12-05, 08:42 AM
DanS19
Visiting Guest
racraft - using cat5

How do I use my existing cat5 to make this work? Do I connect the devices' ethernet port to an outlet?

Old 02-12-05, 09:01 AM
Dan - Are you refering to an existing CAT5 cable being used now for your computer near the location of the Playstation?

Old 02-12-05, 09:19 AM
DanS19
Visiting Guest
My house was built wired for cat5. I am not currently using it for any computer. My internet access is via cable.

Old 02-12-05, 09:49 AM
DanS19
Visiting Guest
I talked to linksys, but I am still not sure. The house was prewired cat5. If I put a router on a pc with internet cable, plugged into an outlet(using cat5?) , can a Playstation2 with an ethernet adapter plugged into an outlet use the network over my electrical system?

Old 02-12-05, 11:14 AM
Your electrical system has nothing to do with this.

Purchase a broadband router if you do not already have one. Your broadband router needs to go between your existing PC and the cable modem.

You have stated that your house is already wired with Cat 5 cable. Do you know where the cat 5 cable terminates? It is probably in the same place as where your phone connections and TV connections terminate.

Place your new router where your cat 5 cables terminate. Use the existing wiring to connect your computer and your playstation to the router. Connect the WAN port on the router to the cable modem. This can be physically where the connections terminate or at any other location in the house where you have both a cat 5 port and a cable port.