Switch controlled outlet

Old 02-12-05, 10:54 PM
christinee
Visiting Guest
Switch controlled outlet

I have an outlet that is controlled by a wall switch. I switched out all of the outlets and wall switches from 80's beige to white. The problem is that one outlet is no longer controlled by the wall switch. The outlet is still functioning and all of the wiring appears to be correct. All of the other switches and outlets that were switched out (including another switch controlled outlet) work fine.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-05, 05:38 AM
You didn't wire it properly.

Perhaps was the previous receptacle only half switched? If this was the case, and if you didn't break the tab between the top half and the bottom half of the receptacle then you have your problem.

Old 02-13-05, 10:20 AM
christinee
Visiting Guest
I have to admit that I'm a complete rookie and I need explanation as to what this "tab" is.

Old 02-13-05, 11:04 AM
On the right side of the receptacle you should see two gold screws. Underneath these two gold screws are plates which are connected by a very small tab, which can be broken off with a pair of needlenose pliars. Make sure the circuit is turned off before you do this, of course.

Old 02-13-05, 12:22 PM
It may be on the right side or the left side. The point it that it is on the brass-colored-screw (or gold-colored) side. And you may not want to do this on all the receptacles, just the ones that were previously half switched. Hopefully you still have the old receptacles you removed for comparison.

Old 02-13-05, 12:25 PM
Note that there is no "right" or left side of a receptacle, as a receptacle can be mounted either end up.

The two gold screws are the clue. They are on the hot side of the receptacle. The other screws (on the neutral or return side of the receptacle) are silver. The ground screw is green.

The new receptacle needs to match the old receptacle. If either tab was removed on the old receptacle then it needs to be removed on the new receptacle. Usually (but not always) just the gold tab will be broken off, if any.

I hope that you at least made sure that you put the hot wires to the gold screws and the neutral wires to the silver screws, and the grounds to the green screw. If you didn't then you need to correct this ASAP.

Old 02-13-05, 01:53 PM
That's true, you could mount it either way, but I was taught that the ground almost always goes on the left. But that's why I mentioned the gold screws; sorry for any confusion.