100 amp service panel

Old 02-13-05, 10:01 AM
Scicom
Visiting Guest
100 amp service panel

does anyone know where I can get parts for a 100 amp load center that has fuses in it. I want to remove the 15-amp adapters and replace them with 20-amp adapters.
I was told there is a tool to remove them, is that true?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-05, 12:24 PM
Before we give you instructions on how to burn your house down, tell us why you want to do this. Also tell us the brand of your panel.

Old 02-14-05, 07:46 AM
Scicom
Visiting Guest
100-amp fuse panel

it was manufactured by walker electrical co.
I am rearranging some circuit's now that I have a sub-panel.
Some of the fuses have 2 hot wires tied to them and now that I have the room can move them around to open spots.
The problem I have is getting the 15-amp adapters out so I can replace them with 20-amp adapters. (yes I have re-wired the circuits in question from
14-2 to 12-2w ground.)

Old 02-14-05, 09:22 AM
As soon as we hear people wanting to increase their fuse sizes we are immediately concerned that they are doing so because the 15 amp fuses can't handle the microwave and the hair dryer at the same time and the fuses keep blowing, which is a nuisance. I usually explain how replacing everything you own because you burned down your house is kind of a nuisance, too, and ask them to pick which nuisance they're willing to live with. However, few people are able to explain that they have increased their wire fro 15 amp-rated #14 to 20 amp-rated #12. Very smart. Just be sure in your own mind that there is no #14 left anywhere on that circuit.

Most household fuse boxes I have seen accept any fuse rating in the same socket. Yours has fuse rejection, which is a very good thing. When I bought my last house it was full of knob & tube (K&T), which is #14 AWG, but the idiot I bought it from had all THIRTY AMP FUSES! It amazes me that the place stood long enough for me to buy it.

However, I am not familiar with how to enable your fuse socket to accept 20 amp fuses. Sorry. I would suggest contacting a lighting or electrical supply house. Those guys have often seen it all and may be able to help you. The also sell to electricians every day, who also must have encountered what you are describing. If there is a local shop they have probably addressed this problem before, since it is usually likely that much of the electrical gear in your neighborhood was provided by the same electrical contractor and is often the same brand from house to house.

Juice

Old 02-15-05, 07:33 AM
Scicom
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the great reply.
I will keep persuing this and let you know how it comes out.

Old 02-15-05, 09:17 AM
Glad to help. Say, my reply was my 1000th post at DIY. Sorry, there's no prize, though. Good luck.

Juice