Outlet box insulation

Old 02-15-05, 11:45 AM
Beeek
Visiting Guest
Outlet box insulation

[Sorry for the potentially redundant questions, the search engine here is a mystery to me. I would use it if I could figgure it out.]

How can I insulate from cold air comming from my outlets after they are installed and sheet rocked? I have tried the foam plate sheets with no luck. I have also tried caulking the drywall and plastic outlet box, the air just keeps blowing out.

Can I

a.) Stuff the box with fiberglass insulation, or is this a flamability concern?

b.) Use foam spray across the back of the outlet box across the plastic clamps (punch outs w/ my house)? I worry this is too permanent and will be difficult to work around the wires in the future. Also, is the foam a flamability concern.

Thanks again,
Beeek

Old 02-15-05, 02:46 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You cannot add anything to the box. What you have done (the foam cover insert) and caulking around the box are about it.

Old 02-16-05, 07:00 AM
Beeek
Visiting Guest
Electrical tape on receptacle?

After I thought about this, I thought...what if the insulation got wet and was in contact with the terminals.

So then definately scrap anything in the box as per your advice. How about wrapping the outlet with good 3M electrical tape? As a habbit I usually wrap mine to protect the terminals, hopefully this isn't considered dangerous.

Thanks again,
Beeek

Old 02-16-05, 09:47 AM
R
Placing a strip of electrical tape across the terminals or even around the whole receptacle is not a problem. However, that won't do much for providing protecting from drafts.

If you are suggesting wrapping the receptacle multiple times, or somehow using electrical tape to block the draft, again you are out of luck. You need air in the junction box to allow the heat to dissipate. Stuffing the box with anything is dangerous.

Old 02-16-05, 11:30 AM
You can use expanding foam around the outside of the electrical boxes by placing the tube from the foam between the box and the wall board. It takes a little meneuvering, but start at the top of the box and work down each side to the bottom. Be sure to turn power off before starting and clean up anything that gets into the box before it dries.

Doug M.

Old 02-16-05, 12:00 PM
Also guess you could take a roll of weather stripping and cut it down...take off the cover plates and install a boarder just around the inside edge of the cover plate ( this comes in different sizes and thicknesses ) and it will for a seal....and then put child proof plastic plugs in all the open sockets and should stop the draft as well.......

gaskets can get costly...lol..and since the inside of the plate is concaved.....buying a roll of weather stipper sticky back would allow you to stick it to the plate itself and not the wall so no worry about pulling of paint.....then forms a seal when you screw the plate back on....

Enjoy..........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: