Connecting a 110v motor to a 230v switch?

Old 02-16-05, 06:19 AM
Connecting a 110v motor to a 230v switch?

I have well pressure switch which is wired at 230v. I have a new chlorinator pump motor which is 110v. I need to wire this chl motor to this pressure switch. I connected the chl motors hot wire to the well pump hot side. Then I had to run a new common line to the panel box,(no common in the pressue switch) this gave me the 110v that I needed, motor runs fine. By wiring this motor that way, will I do any damage to the new motor, or will anything over heat?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-05, 06:50 AM
You won't do damage to the motor.
How did you run this new common wire? Is there conduit between the switch and the panel that you added a new wire into? You can't just run a single wire in free air to the motor or switch from the panel.

Old 02-16-05, 09:49 AM
Howdy,

Well I have the same question as joed in how did you run that wire back to the panel as I would have liked you to simply run a new feed to it if you went through all the trouble taking a neutral back to the panel and how did you run that....Joed is correct as I hope you did not FREE AIR it.

Also.....just to make it clear....you sized the breaker to the well pump via NEC....so now you are running a 1 Phase Pump from the same line with a different neutral...have you made sure the feed to the pressure switch is now sized right...the OCPD is right.....and what is the HP of the new pump motor....

I always get concerned when people TAP things in that they know what the original sizing is...now motors are not my BAG...but the NEC is so I was wanted to know if you thought about the things above.

Old 02-17-05, 09:56 AM
Ok, I have a double 15 amp breaker with 2 hot wires going to my 2 outside terminals on my pressure switch. I have 2 wires on the inside terminals that go to my well pump, which is 230v. I took the hot wire on the chlor pump and wired it to one of the hot terminals on the well pump side, this will turn my chlor pump on when my well pump turns on. I wired the common wire on the chlor pump into the P/S with 14/2 wire only using the common to run back to the panel box. This chlor pump doesn't have a hp on it, it reads 115v, 60hz, .79amps, 1 phase. What I want to do is run a new 230v hot line to the P/S using 14/3, and using the extra wire as my common for the chlor pump.

Old 02-17-05, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by grantiman
What I want to do is run a new 230v hot line to the P/S using 14/3, and using the extra wire as my common for the chlor pump.
This is the correct way to connect this.