220 Service for Outbuilding


Old 02-17-05, 07:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
220 Service for Outbuilding

My next project is to provide 220 service for my woodshop located approximately 100 ft from my main 200 amp service panel located in my attached garage. I think I need at least 20-25amps for my tools.

The run consists of going from the panel, up through the garage attic, down an external wall, into the ground for about 50 feet and finally up and through the outbuilding's wall into a sub panel. I would probably use a licensed electrician to do the actual panel conections and confirm my work.

Does this sound reasonable enough for a DYI'er? Also, what size wire would I want to run with and would I want to run it through weather proof conduit where it is buried?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-05, 08:09 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Do you just need one circuit? Will you be running only one 240-volt tool at any time?

Your guess about needing 20 to 25 amps is too vague. Unlike most 120-volt circuits, 240-volt circuits are not usually designed to be "general purpose". They are usually designed one at a time for the specific load they will serve. You need the exact electrical requirements of your tool(s). If you need 20 amps, then one 20-amp circuit will be fine. If you need 25 amps, then you'll need two circuits, unless you have a tool specifically designed for a 30-amp circuit.

So what exactly are these tools anyway?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes