new service panel

Old 02-17-05, 09:06 AM
new service panel

a friend asked me to get info on his soon to be installed new service panel...he has an older home and the old fuse panel was changed to breaker panel.but his breaker panel is the size of my sub panel..only 8 breakers.so he has a lincensed electrician putting in a larger panel,(not a sub).the electrician says con edison (electric company) doesnt have to kill the power,its not a service line upgrade (200 amps already),just a matter of changing panel..i told him im sure an electrician knows how to deal with the live wires going to the main breaker and doesnt need them killed....im just wondering if it has to be inspected though,told him maybe if he sells the house,he might get a violation he must clear up...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-05, 09:11 AM
hmmmmm......I would check out the Electrician if I were him....Now they are in a different area than I am ( Virginia ) but I NEVER do a service change on a panel unless the meter is pulled, and inspected and approved.

Maybe some others ( JOHN ) can comment on this but personally if is a service change it needs to be inspected....and if it is a service change the power needs to be pulled and the service needs to be evaluated to the point that what size panel is he putting in it....and can the service feed to it handle what MIGHT be added due to the increased panel spaces...

Hmm...not so sure I agree here...but again who am I...lol......anyway I would check with the local building officials If I were him....I have been doing this nearly 17 years..I dont do a panel upgrade without having atleast the meter pulled to kill power atleast to the MAIN.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 02-17-05, 09:31 AM
thanks electrical man..i will definetly have him call building department..also wanted him to call the electrician i used 2 years ago,this guy is liscenced in nj,ny and long island,and he works by himself,under his own name and liscence .i check him on our building department web page and not a bad thing on him for 15 years.he isnt cheap but his work is worth it.definetly going to stress to my friend to check out this guy,im betting he isnt liscenced and working under someone elses name.

Old 02-17-05, 09:43 AM
most likely but he might not be licensed at all if he is pushing to not have it inspected and not contacting the utility company. Yes, we do not cut the power on small things and small upgrades and so on because it can be turned off at the source ( panel )...but when you are talking about a service change or upgrade where their will be NO protection on the wires going in and out of the panel to the main terminal....not good my friend...not good at all.

As for sharing the license..I have seen some people in here state that they have seen it done...I can only tell you that in VA you can't share a license or allow someone else to work with that license as their own electrical firm or for payment unless they actually WORK for the firm listed on the contractors license.

just tell him to becareful is all.........if a person is doing something themselves is one thing as they are aware of the possible issues...when someone is PAYING someone to do something...get a licensed electrician to do it to be safe....the old rule is...if the cost is very cheap...the work probably will be just as cheap.......

Old 02-17-05, 09:49 AM
You would need a permit for this, but the utility will probably never come to inspect the work. They will only eventually come (sometimes weeks after ) to reseal the box. At least that's my experience so far.

Old 02-17-05, 10:12 AM
I am not talking about the Utility Company inspecting anything as I am sure they could care less......I am more refering to the local building inspector inspecting the work and allowing it to be re-connected .

I am big on saying the utility company should remove the meter...thus killing the power...allowing the upgrade if the person is not changing any of the supply service cable...then the utility company need not check anything...

But I do not like the idea of someone doing a service change even if they are noy uping the size of the service.......

Lets face it...not knowing how old it is.....are they removing a 100A to replace with a 100A panel.....how old is the wiring, is it the old cloth coated and will it get damaged on the removal...and so on......

I see so many electrians frightened of Inspectors that they would try this...when actually the Inspector is our friend...in fact if he DID do something wrong the Inspector would tell him what he needs to do to make it comply.....can't see anything bad about that....

But even if it is just a total swap from 100A fuse to a 100A Breaker.....I do not like the idea of someone pulling the panel with live wires being pulled out of the box.......just think it should be organized....

1.) Get the Permit
2.) Contact the Utility to pull meter
3.) Set up the inspection for same day....roughly around Noon or so to give the Utility people enough time to make a re-connect visit.
4.) Get- er Done......
5.) Meet the inspector...get approval
6.) Call the Utility.... and have it buttoned up and finished...

Old 02-17-05, 01:18 PM
Might not be a bad idea to make sure this guy has insurance as well. I would hate to see them try to throw something back on your friend because this guy got injured on his property.

Old 02-17-05, 01:31 PM
hth
I am also changing my panel. All unlicensed guys gave lower prices and said no permit needed. All licensed guys gave higher prices ans said they wouldn't work without permit. I checked with the city and they said a permit is required. Finally I hired the licensed guy. Don't do this kind of job without a permit. Also the city inspection is good for a home owner, to make sure the electrician does the job right.

Old 02-18-05, 06:00 AM
Yeppers.....I am all for the DIY guys and people trying to save a little money and do things right...this is why I actually came here to offer my experience and help where I can....

I am not perfect and a Electrician is always learning as different AHJ's are different in areas and is quite a challenge to ALWAYS get it right...lol

But what I do HATE is the wanna be Electricians who are actually contracting jobs for money for people and are not getting it inspected or are not licensed to do it....fine if a homeowner wants to do their own work which is why this AWESOME forum exists......but the people who price jobs that DIY's can't do or should not do and take away work from Licensed Electricians by low ball pricing them and doing work without a contractors license simply brings down the industry...

I just happen to think a service change is NOT a DIY project...but that is my personally feeling...I am sure some can do it...but in all cases if you can't do it yourself.....get a licensed electrician from a licensed contractor...and only ONE call to your state licensing department will tell you if they are licensed or not...

Cheaper does not mean better and more expensive does not mean better...BUT licensed means SAFER and SAFER is BETTER !......Would you put your life in the hands of a pilot who has flown a cessna all his life but is not going to fly a 747 that you are on...and has not taken a license for flying it...lol...NOT ME...

Old 02-18-05, 06:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I this guy's utility is ConEd then more than likely he is in NYC and the electrician MUST be licensed.
If this is just a straight 200 amp panel swap then an inspection/permits may not be required. This can be considered a repair. I'm not sure how things are in the City now but years ago on LI we used to pull meters to replace panels and LILCO would reseal them later.
In NY the building dept has nothing to do with electrical.We have our own independent inspectors so calling the building dept may get you some information and contact numbers but no inspector from them will come out.

Old 02-18-05, 06:41 AM
I hear ya petey..........If they do service changes up their without pulling the meter and work on the feeds to the panel HOT...they are a bigger man than me...lol.....even after 17 years I still have the meter pulled before I do a service change...lol....