Electrical problem

Old 02-18-05, 06:46 AM
Richard Baldwin
Visiting Guest
Electrical problem

I have a single switch at the end of a run. I want to remove it an add a stack switch in place of it in order to add another fixture how do i do this?

Old 02-18-05, 06:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hmmm...well I guess we need more details on this to be able to assist you more.

When you say a single switch at the end of a run.......what exactly does that CURRENT switch control......and is the current light it controls only controlled from that switch....and no other place?

Have you ( CUT THE POWER ) and examined the wires entering the box to give us more detail on what you have coming into the box......

Are you saying it is at the end of a string of recepts....in that case you should have at a minimum (2) cables going into the switch box...is this correct....If you have more than (2) let us know how they are connected in the box and spliced and so on....

This is a simple DIY project but would help if we had a little more information about the cables entering the existing switch box itself before I can elaborate..and everyone here by knows I can TYPE forever....

ElecticalMan is LONG WINDED...

Old 02-18-05, 06:55 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you only have two wires in the box (other than the ground) and if you want one of the switches to maintain it;s current function then you cannot do this without running a new wire to this box.

Provide more details on what the current switch operates, what you want the new switch to operate and ALL the wires in the box and how they are connected to the current switch and to each other.

Also include details on the wiring at the device the existing switch controls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: