Unswitched outlet after light fixture?

Old 02-21-05, 04:17 AM
mwingeier
Visiting Guest
Unswitched outlet after light fixture?

I am trying to update the lighting in my garage, where there is currently one light fixture with a 100 watt bulb. I found out yesterday after I unscrewed the fixture that it has two Romex runs feeding it, with two white wires attached to two terminals on one side of the fixture, and a single red wire attached to the other side. Hooked in series with this is a duplex outlet in the ceiling where my garage door opener is plugged in. The lamp, of course, is switched, and the outlet is always hot. How does this configuration work, and how can I wire up a new fixture that only has hot and neutral wires? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-05, 04:40 AM
The white wire is the neutral wire. The red wire is a switched hot wire. The black wire is always hot.

I'm not sure that I understand your question.

In your setup, the light has a neutral and a (switched) hot. The receptacle has a neutral and a (unswitched) hot.

Old 02-21-05, 06:29 AM
If you are trying to add another switched light to this circuit, Connect the black form the new cable to the red wire. Connect the white from the new cable to the white wires. At the new fixture connect black to gold and white to silver. Your new light will also be switched with same switch as the old light.

Old 02-21-05, 09:30 AM
mwingeier
Visiting Guest
RE: Unswitched outlet after light fixture?

So just to see if I understand, the two whites will join together with the white on the new fixture, and the red connects to the black on the new fixture? And this configuration will produce the switched light and the always hot duplex outlet? I do not see any gold or silver in this junction, just two whites going to the fixture, two blacks wired together, and a red also wired to the fixture.

Old 02-21-05, 11:20 AM
Yes the black and white to the new fixture connects to the red and whites of the old fixture. The fixture if it has screw terminals will have a gold and silver terminals or it will have black and white wires.
Your receptacle operation will not change. Just make sure you don't change any of the connections in you old fixture. Only add the new wires to the existing setup.