Off/on switches not connected properly

Old 02-21-05, 08:28 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Off/on switches not connected properly

I have the following problem at a home that I just purchased.
At the front entrance of the home, I have a double switch receptacle. One switch is supposed to turn on/off the outside porch light and the other switch is supposed to turn on/off a plug on the inside wall near the entrance.
The problem is that both the outside light, and the inside plug, work off the first switch and nothing works off the second switch.
The wiring is as follows, all three white wires are tied together in the box. One black wire is on the top switch (off side) and one black wire in on the bottom switch (off side). The remaining black wire is in on the first switch (on side).

Old 02-21-05, 08:39 AM
R
I gather from your terminology ("top switch" and "bottom switch") that this is a duplex switch. However, your terminology of "off side" and "on side" is ambiguous. Single pole switches don;t really have an off and an on side.

However, I think I know what the problem is.

Take a good look at the screw terminals on the switch. Is there a metal tab connecting the top and bottom switch on either side of the switch? If so, which side? The side with two wires or the side with only one wire?

Old 02-21-05, 04:38 PM
C
The side with two black wires has the metal tab connecting the top and bottom.

Old 02-21-05, 04:50 PM
G
It's wired backwards. Put the single wire on the side with the metal tab and the two other wires on the side without the metal tab.

Old 02-21-05, 06:51 PM
R
It is definitely not wired properly. It may be as easy to fix as simply moving the wires to the opposite sides, but you may also have to experiment to find the right combination of wires.

The always hot black wire belongs connected to the side with the tab. The other two black wires belong on the other side.

Old 02-22-05, 08:24 AM
C
Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I will try it tonight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: