attic wiring and insulation

Old 02-21-05, 09:47 AM
kevlarus
Visiting Guest
attic wiring and insulation

I've done some searching but haven't found anything definitive on this.
Older 40's home with unfinished attic. Originally insulated using wool in attic and outside walls (still there -- doesn't help a whole lot). All wires (ok, most were) secured to joists and all jboxes secured to top of joists (which is the 'floor' within the attic).

Modern batts of insulation were placed over everything. The width of the batt would lie over one of the joists. I know all jboxes must be accessible, which they are per se. The batts can be moved aside for physical access (the batts are all encased -- looks like grey plastic).

Is this within code ?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-05, 10:18 AM
hi
i can say yes, but any junction box must be a secure 3 ft hight from insulation.

cheers

pg

Old 02-21-05, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by pgtek
hi
i can say yes, but any junction box must be a secure 3 ft hight from insulation.

cheers

pg
I can't find this in code, I've always figured j-boxes would still be accessible under the insulation. no part of the permanent building structure needs to be moved to access.

Old 02-21-05, 10:36 AM
kevlarus
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. Been nervous about wanting to add another circuit myself and coordinating with the local inspector without raising all sorts of other problems/complaints to become within code and getting a snow ball effect.

Old 02-21-05, 04:51 PM
Usually the inspector will only look at the new work. Old work usually comes into question with things like remodels, additions (i.e. a new room) or some other structural change.