Adding a Switch

Old 02-22-05, 12:04 AM
Ptowndad
Visiting Guest
Adding a Switch

I currently have a wall switch that controls an outlet. I want to add another switch beside the first to control a new overhead light separately. Is there any way to wire the new switch to the existing circuit on the existing switch? I'm hoping to avoid connecting somewhere else because it will be difficult to reach anything other than the switch, and I already have the wires from the new light strung to the switch location. Thanks!

Old 02-22-05, 01:34 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not counting the wires from the new light, how many wires did your switch box have in side ?
And what are the colors ?
You need a neutral wire to feed the neutral side of the new light.
The switch only cuts power on the hot wire side.

Old 02-22-05, 04:31 AM
R
You may or may not be able to add a second switch and then run power to your light with the present wiring. As GWIZ stated, the answer depends on whether there is a neutral wire in the switch box. If you only have a switch loop from the receptacle then you have no neutral, and you cannot do what you want. If you do have a neutral then you can do what you wish.

If you do not have the necessary neutral, you could still do what you want if you replace the wire from the receptacle to the switch. Another option is that you could rewire the receptacle so that it is unswitched, and then use the existing wiring and the existing switch for the new light.

Do tell us the existing wiring at the switch so we can advise further.

Old 02-22-05, 09:33 PM
Ptowndad
Visiting Guest
Adding a switch

I have both black and white (hot and neutral, correct?).

Old 02-23-05, 04:41 AM
R
If the black and white are the only wires (other than a ground) in the switch box then you do not have a neutral. Both the black and the white are hot. One will always be hot, the other switched.

Are those the only wires in the switch box?

Old 02-23-05, 08:13 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Ptowndad
I have both black and white (hot and neutral, correct?).
You have a switch loop. That means both wires are hot and there is no neutral in the switch box. You can't do it. You need to find another power source for your new light.

Old 02-23-05, 10:59 PM
Ptowndad
Visiting Guest
Adding a switch

Those are the only wires. So it can't be done as planned. Okay, thanks. I guess I'm back at square one. If both wires are hot, does that mean that it really doesn't matter which color goes to which terminal, it's a loop either way? For future reference, what would the wires have had to look like to work?

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-24-05, 04:28 AM
R
You cannot add a second switch as planned, you have no neutral wire in the box.

To make this work as you want you need to replace the wire between the switch and the receptacle. You need one more conductor, to carry the neutral or return current.

If your existing wiring had two cables in the switch box, with the white wires connected together and the two black wires connected to the switch, then you would have been able to add a second switch and power the new light from the switch.

Note that you are not completely out of luck. You can power the new light from the existing switch, if you no longer have the receptacle switched. If you want the receptacle to be always hot then a couple of changes at the receptacle will enable you to have the existing switch control the new light.

Old 02-24-05, 06:40 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If both wires are hot, does that mean that it really doesn't matter which color goes to which terminal, it's a loop either way?
Yes, that's true.

Old 02-24-05, 11:32 PM
Ptowndad
Visiting Guest
Sdding a switch

Bob, that's a great idea, probably the simplest option I have! I just have to convince the wife that it's for the best--and then patch the hole where the second switch was going to go.

Thanks, all, for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: