How much insulation jacket inside SE?

Old 02-22-05, 08:04 AM
Beeek
Visiting Guest
Question How much insulation jacket inside SE?

I checked through "wiring simplified" and can't seem to see this adressed. How much Romex jacket is allowed to be poking through inside of a SE breaker box (SD QO 40 breakers). My branch wire entrances are all through the top with ~3 wires per hole clamp. I have to move three wires down into the box a few inches more to extend my neutral from the bus bar (flanking main lugs) to some arc fault breakers.

I am guessing I will have to trim the insulation back up to the entrance clamp to be within code--similar to code for an outlet box? Or is there a length allowable?

TIA,
Beeek

Last edited by Beeek; 02-22-05 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-05, 08:45 AM
There's no code maximum, only a minimum (1/4"). Of course if you leave so much that it gets in the way, it wouldn't be workmanlike. I'd say don't include more than an inch.

Old 02-22-05, 09:23 AM
Beeek
Visiting Guest
Thanks again John, I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't make any safety mistakes by knowing what is expected. My electrician left ~ 1/4 inch neatly inside across the board, all of my branches come in at the top (#=36) so that area is very very busy. The amount of cable running up was nicely enough to allow me to reach the breaker w/o making any any significant change in the curvature of the feeder wire (i.e. not taught right angle).

Now I just have to find the money for the arc faults.