Adding a new circuit

Old 02-22-05, 12:56 PM
Adding a new circuit

Hello,

I recently bought a 50 year old house in CA. I had the electrical panel replaced and upgraded to a 200 amp service. Being in Northern CA, the panel is outside. I am currently replacing the drywall in one of the bedrooms, and want to take advantage of running new electrical to that room. None of my outlets are grounded, and the wiring is 50 years old.

The advice I would like to get is the best way to run the wiring from the box which is outside to the attic. Some of the existing wiring is run behind the box in the wall between the studs. All the punch outs are used going behind the box into the wall. I could make one of the punch outs bigger. The box is mounted to a piece of plywood, so making the punch outs bigger is not exactly easy.

I could also run some conduit from the side of the box up the outside wall through an attic vent. There are already 2 conduits running from that side of the box (so the 2 side punch outs are used). I could go from the bottom, or tap into the existing conduits and add a T-joint. The existing conduit is going to an addition from the 60's, so I could not use it the whole way.

Any advice given would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-05, 03:16 PM
Do you have a crawl space with adequate headroom?

Last edited by John Nelson; 02-22-05 at 06:21 PM. Reason: remove redundatn quoting
Old 02-22-05, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately no, the house is on a concrete slab.

Old 02-22-05, 08:03 PM
waterfowelman
Visiting Guest
What a fun job.

Hi I am new to these posts as well. I am in IOWA so your codes and the AHJD in your area may do things a bit different..I would ask if the panel you are comming out of is " outside " as in a weather proof panel? If this is the case I would run a pipe up the house and pipe right through into your attic to a J-box that will handle the amount of circuits you need. Out of that I would run romex to the rooms. If you set a large enough box you could run your panel feeds to it and then set a 4 11/16 box above each room and take all your outlet feeds to that. It would be easier than trying to jump from outlet to outlet. Then just take your panel feeds to each 4 11/16 box with the appropriate homerun that you labled and be done. Do not forget to add smoke-detection w/battery back up while you are doing this! Have fun.

JD

Old 02-23-05, 08:42 AM
Don't forget Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter. Check with the electrical inspector to find out if it's required.