TV turning off

Old 02-22-05, 06:33 PM
djscolt
Visiting Guest
Question TV turning off

Hello, my tv, phone and satellite box will turn off and back on about 12 times an hour. I replaced the breaker for those outlets. i tried 3 outlets with the same results, all on same breaker. Now i have them plugged into an heavy duty extension cord in another room and they work fine. The wiring looks fine in the attic even though it is old.
please help, donna s.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-05, 07:39 PM
If all of the receptacles you tried are on the same circuit then check the wiring for that circuit at the breaker panel.

If all of the receptacles are not on the same breaker, but on the same half of the incoming power, then call the power company and have them check the lines into your house. Note that "same half of the incoming power" does not mean same half of the circuit breaker panel.

Old 02-23-05, 07:28 AM
If all of the receptacles in question are on the same circuit breaker it may be a loose wire somewhere in the curcuit run. A good place to start with an investigation of your own is to confirm the receptacles, turn off the power, and check each receptacle to confirm the circuit wires terminate on the screws on the side of the receptacle. If there are wirenuts or splices inside any of the boxes check to see that those wires are secure. If the wires terminate on the "back" of the receptacle, this condition has a history of creating an environment for an intermittent connection. The best thing to do is to move each wire to the screws on the side of the receptacle-white to silver and black (or color) to gold.

Are there any other electrical devices that do this?

Old 02-23-05, 07:32 PM
djscolt
Visiting Guest
Red face Power going off

Thankyou, I will do both things this saturday and post findings, until then i'm keeping that breaker flipped off.