Adding a wall plug

Old 02-22-05, 07:31 PM
annieb4343
Visiting Guest
Adding a wall plug

I am trying to hook up a new wall plug. The only power source I have to tie into is the light fixture. I am trying to figure out how to tie it in!! The wiring from the power source to the light and switch just seems to be hooked up backwards according to my basic wiring book. Usually I am pretty good at this stuff, but, I think I need a little guidance this time!! This is how the light fixture is hooked up: Main power white is hooked into the white to the light. Main black is hooked to the black to the switch. Switch white and light black are hooked together. My question is "How can I tie a new wire into this to run a wall plug?" Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-05, 04:38 AM
The black/white to/from the switch is called a switch loop. Whoever wired this switch loop should have wired the switch loop white to the source black and the switch loop black to the light fixture black. Also, the switch loop white should be "reidentified" as a hot wire by wrapping black electrical tape over it or by marking it black with magic marker.

This would be a good time to make that correction...nothing needs to change at the switch, just swap the wires at the light fixture.

Now, to add your outlet, the outlet black will connect to the source black, outlet white to source white. Assuming you correct the switch loop, this gives you: source black, outlet black, switch loop white wirenutted together, and, source white, fixture white, and outlet white wirenutted together. The switch loop black then connects to the fixture black. ALL grounds should be tied together, and bonded to the box if it is metal.

Old 02-23-05, 04:40 AM
Connect your receptacle wires to the main white, the main black, and the ground wire. This will have your receptacle always be powered.

What is backwards is the switch loop. By code the switch loop should be the other way.

Old 02-23-05, 05:27 AM
annieb4343
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I thought about rewiring it!!! But I just figured if it worked, dont mess with it!!! Looks like I will switch the wires and see what happens. I did find another light fixture wired the same way. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. Thanks again.

Old 02-23-05, 07:29 AM
Slow down. Your switch loop is wired wrong, but it is not a serious mistake. I wouldn't rush around looking around these sorts of problems.

Since you will be tapping into this circuit, you may as well go ahead and fix the switch loop, but I wouldn't go looking for similar mistakes in other circuits unless actively working on those circuits.