Electrical Concerns

Old 02-23-05, 07:39 PM
ohldmhn
Visiting Guest
Electrical Concerns

I purchased an older home that has only an 80 amp circuit panel. To utilize todays standards of a dishwasher and electric range, dryer and washer I would not have enough power for all, Oh, also the house water is driven by a well (pump)220 volts. What I did (since all the wiring in the house was so brittle) was set up a new panel ( 200 Amp) and rewired the complete house. I ran out of circuits ( as I put only two plugs 110 volt and a light on each breaker). I needed to make an additional panel ( 200amp) for the kitchen area. I set up the panel using 6/3 wiring as a jumper from one panel to the next, and hooked up a 220 volt line for the range, and the dryer. My question is in this second panel do I need to ground it separately ? Iíve been reading all sorts of books on the subject and doing research in the library and online, some of my questions get close to my answers but still confusing. Please Help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-05, 08:07 PM
waterfowelman
Visiting Guest
What Is Wrong Here?

If I may I must ask a few ?'s--number one is how do you get a 200 amp panel full with such a small house? Go back and put some of those together and be generous! You got lots of space so use it. I have herd of being conservative but WOW! I would not add the 2nd you do not need it! There are 2400SQFT homes that do not have full panels.

JD.

Old 02-23-05, 08:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This post throws up alot of flags.

Two receptacles and a light on each circuit?
A 200 amp sub-panel fed with 6/3 off a 200 amp main?

Do a search for "sub panel" in these forums. This is one of the most widly covered topics.

I truly feel you should bring in a qualified electrician to check this work before calling for an inspection.

Old 02-24-05, 07:45 AM
My question is in this second panel do I need to ground it separately ?
No, not when both panels are in the same structure. The grounding wire between the panels is the only grounding the subpanel requires.

Old 02-24-05, 09:22 AM
If the "2nd. panel" is an enclosure seperate from the panel where the Service Dis-connecting Means is located, then the "2nd. panel" AND the Equiptment Grounding Conductors (EGC) of the Branch-Circuits that connect to the "2nd panel" are required to be Grounded by an Equiptment Grounding Conductor which should be in the same cable/raceway that encloses the Feeder Conductors that supply the "2nd. panel".

For example; if the Wiring Method for the Feeder Conductors to the "2nd panel" is 6/3 Non-Metallic Cable, the N-M cable will have 3 insulated Feeder Conductors and a bare EGC which must Ground the enclosure of the "2nd. panel" and the EGC's of the Branch-Circuits in the "2nd. panel."

The Neutral terminal bar in the "2nd. panel" is required to be isolated/insulated from all Grounding connections. The ONLY connections to the Feeder Neutral are the White conductors of the Branch-Circuit cables.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!