Basement Wiring Question 2

Old 02-25-05, 09:58 AM
Jwichman
Visiting Guest
Basement Wiring Question 2

Finishing basement project - I have and existing light switch mounted in a metal box with 3/4 in metal conduit. All is mounted to poured concrete foundation wall (wall to remain unfinished). The 3/4" conduit with two 12/2 NM-B romex cable runs from the top of the switch box to the ceiling joist, then 12/2 NM-B romex (no conduit) runs the remaining distance to the supply and light fixture. I would like to place a second light switch (independant circuit) in this same box. The new switch will be a 3-way switch which operates a different light. The existing box is a 4X4 box, so I believe there is room in the box for the additional switch and wiring. Can I run a 12/3 NM-B romex cable in the existing 3/4" conduit with the two existing 12/2 NM-B romex runs or do I need to add a separate conduit?

Thanks for thew help,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-05, 10:12 AM
Because this cable is only sleeved for protection, and is not part of a complete conduit run, you can put as much in that conduit as fits. I would not, however, cram it in so tight that you risk damaging the cable doing so.