old wiring/new fixture

Old 02-26-05, 04:08 PM
old wiring/new fixture

First timer here. I want to install a new light fixture in a room in a house with 1950-something wiring, which has a lower temperature rating than new wiring. I read, somewhere in here, I think, that if you encase the old cloth-covered, bx enclosed wires in the fixture box with shrink tubing that will suffice. Any other information from anyone on this topic??? Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-05, 05:25 PM
Shrink tubing is not the answer. The answer is to replace the last couple of feet to the box with modern wire. All splices must be made in permanently accessible junction boxes. If there is an attic above the room, this is generally simple. If there is no attic, then worst case is that you'll end up with a box with a blank cover plate on your ceiling.

Old 02-26-05, 06:04 PM
Before you do anything, check the rating of the new light. It may be rated for older wiring, in which case you don't need to do anything...

Old 02-27-05, 05:15 AM
Thanks to you both for the input. The rating on the new light is min. 90 degrees. As I understand it, the whole issue here is the amount of heat generated at the fixture and the older wiring insulation not being able to withstand it without deteriorating. Is this correct? The new fixture allows max. two 75 watt bulbs. Would the safety concern be lessened any by only installing 60 watters? What about wrapping the wiring in the fixture box with electrical tape? Many thanks again.

Old 02-27-05, 06:59 AM
Using a smaller light bulb is not acceptable. You have no way of knowing how small a bulb to use, and you will forget in the future, or someone else won't know about this problem, and then install a higher wattage bulb.

Find a fixture that can handle 60 degree wire, or do as John suggested. These are your only two safe options.