Bathroom vent fan

Old 02-27-05, 10:21 AM
bobrannigan
Visiting Guest
Bathroom vent fan

Bathroom vent fan replacement problem. With two separate wires (each with a black and white) coming into the fan, I connected the whites (3) and capped, neutrals and attached (2) and attached the blacks to the fan and light. When I turned them on, the light worked and the fan threw the breaker. Thank you for your help. Bob

Old 02-27-05, 11:28 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's possible there is a Ground-Fault in one of the 2-wire cables. Dis-connect all connections to the F/L and seperate all four cable conductors from each other.This presumes that there a two 2-wire cables between the switches and the F/L

If there is a G-F, the breaker will trip when one of the switches is switched "On".

If all is "normal" with both switches in the "On" position, then test for correct switching on the two cable-pairs. With the "L" switch "On" and the "F" switch "Off", test for voltage between a Black wire and a White wire, and then determine that the voltage across this cable-pair is "On-Off" when the "L" switch is opertated.These test are best done with simple test-lamp socket.

Repeat the test for the "F" switch-- "F" switch "On", "L" switch "Off".Please note that you are testing SEPERATE cable-pairs.

Next, connect the two White wires of the two cable-pairs together, and test for "On-Off" operation between the Two White wires and the "L" Black wire-repeat this test for the "F" Balck wire.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-27-05, 01:00 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I doubt a ground fault is present. I am guessing mis wiring.

First, describe what you have. Your terminology (that you gave us) is not correct and that may be part of the problem. This statement, "I connected the whites (3) and capped, neutrals and attached (2) and attached the blacks to the fan and light." does not make sense. White wires are neutrals.

Tell us what wires you have at the switches, and what wires you have at the light/fan.

Tell us all the wires, not just those that are connected to the switches.

I suppose you don't remember how the original unit was connected.

Old 02-27-05, 01:59 PM
waterfowelman
Visiting Guest
Simple Is This.

Bob, I will try to lend a hand with simple terms. You own a fan with a light. The light needs power and the fan needs power. Lets say that each has its own power going to it from the switches..that means that you have whites together and one black to the fan and one to the light. That is one way.....The other might be you have power in the fan and power and switchlegs going down to the switch or to another light or outlet somewhere. You will need to identify what goes with what. After you find out what is power and what are the switchlegs it should be easy for ya. POST AGIAN FOR HELP. Do not go hookin things up without knowing. Don't get in a hurry. Slow is better

JD.

Old 02-27-05, 04:23 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You have a switch loop. One of the whites is not a neutral. It is to used for power to the switch. You can confirm this by looking at the switch. If it has a black and a white on the switch, you have a switch loop. The way you have it now the switch is a dead short when turned on.
Determine which wire is the power feed and whcich is the switch.
Conncet power white to light white.
Connect power black to switch white. Color white wire black with tape or marker.
Connect switch black to llight/fan black.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: