Wiring Question:

Old 02-28-05, 08:06 AM
Wiring Question:

In my kitchen over the counter, I'd like to install a GFCI outlet and a switch for the garbage disposal in a double box. The GFCI is on a separate 20 amp circuit, so is the garbage disposal. Would someone tell me the most efficient way to wire this. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-05, 08:20 AM
Not exactly sure of your question.

Run two 12-2 cables from the circuit breaker panel to the box.

Connect the GFCI receptacle to one of the 12-2 cables. You are done with the receptacle and it's cable, except for the ground wire.

Connect the black wire of the second 12-2 cable to one terminal of the switch.

Run another 12-2 cable from the box to the disposal. Connect the black wire of this cable to the other terminal of the switch.

Connect the two unconnected white wires together with a wire nut.

Connect all the ground wires together and to the switch and to the GFCI receptacle and to the box, if it is metal.

The above may not be the most efficient, but it is the easiest for a beginner to follow and the most straightforward.

Old 02-28-05, 08:40 AM
Thanks, one more question:

I appreciate your quick answer.

One more thing: is there anything in the code that mandates how close to the sink a receptacle or switch can be placed on the backsplash?

Old 02-28-05, 08:45 AM
Code does not restrict how close to the sink you can put a receptacle or switch (you can even put one over the sink if you want). However, it does restrict how far away you can put a receptacle. There must be a receptacle no farther than 24 inches from each side of the sink.

Common sense is, however, allowed.

The disposal switch is normally placed far enough from the sink so that you can't reach it with one hand down the disposal, but not so far that you can't attack someone who tries to turn it on while your hand is down the disposal.

Old 02-28-05, 09:20 AM
John, you've done it again: I was unaware of the "attack" distance recommendation, but it sure makes a lot of sense! I'm going to remember this when I buy my next fixer-upper.

Juice

Old 02-28-05, 09:40 AM
For safety's sake you should use a double-pole breaker, or use a physical tie-bar to connect the handles so when one trips, both trip. Otherwise, someone could get a nasty shock if they trip one breaker and start working on the devices assuming that all power is off, when in fact, the other device is still energized.