New light Fixture

Old 02-28-05, 05:27 PM
Kcobb
Visiting Guest
New light Fixture

undefined
Is there anyone who can help me out. I installed a new wall light and i ran new wire to a new wall outlet. the problem is every time i turn the light on i blow the breaker, it is 15 amps.the way i hooked it up is a) source to switch and b)fixture to switch. What am i doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-05, 06:19 PM
Give us the detail of your connections. It's pretty clear that your switch creates a dead short, but we need details to tell you what to do now. Did you connect any white wires to the switch? Are there two black wires and two white wires in the box containing the switch? Did you connect the two white wires to each other, and the two black wires to the switch?

Old 02-28-05, 07:22 PM
There are two common mistakes that people make with switches, and I think you made one of them.

As John indicated, if you ran power from the receptacle to the switch, and then ran a cable to the light, there should be no white wires (neutrals) on the switch. With a switch, you only switch the hot wire, you don't switch the neutral.

At the switch, connect the two white wires together with a wire nut. Connect each black wire to one of the switch terminals (not the ground screw). Finally, connect the ground wires together and to the switch ground screw and to the box if metal.

The other common mistake that is made with a switch is that people try to wire a new load from a switch loop.

Old 02-28-05, 07:30 PM
Excellent points Bob. Kcobb, we need to know exactly what you used for a "source". I hope it wasn't a wall switch.

Old 03-01-05, 07:46 AM
Kcobb
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up New Light

Thanks Everyone, for the help. I had the white wires in the top of switch and the black in the bottom. I did what you suggested and it is working fine.