Bonding Meter base to Breaker box

Old 02-24-05, 08:05 PM
Keith W
Visiting Guest
Question Bonding Meter base to Breaker box

I just ran across this forum and thought that you guys looked like a knowledgable helpful group. So I thought I would try a few questions here.

I am adding a new 200A service to a dettached garage. This will come in through a masthead to a meter base that is mounted directly through the wall from the breaker box. Out of the bottom of the MB knockout is 2" rigid conduit to an LB into the back of the BB. I am pretty sure that I need to bond the conduit to the neutral/ground bus bar. Do I need an insulated grounding bushing at both ends connected to the bus bar or just the BB end?

Thanks in advance.

More to follow.

Keith

Old 02-25-05, 10:07 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is my opinion that a Bonding-bushing located in the Service -panel is sufficient to "Bond"-to-Ground the metallic conduit between the M-S and the S-P.

The Neutral Service Conductor can be used to Ground the M-S enclosure and the metallic raceway that encloses the Service Conductors between the M-S and the utility connection-point.

Old 02-26-05, 06:22 AM
waterfowelman
Visiting Guest
Bond___james Bond.

Hey PATTTBAA, You should be fine to use a GB at the panel and not at the meter. Most of the time the POCO does not want to see the GB inside the meter. They have some issues with it. What I would do is put a " I'm not sure how it is spelled" malleable bushing on the meter side. It is in a sense the GB without the set screws and lug. Our local inspector likes us to use them.

JD

Old 02-27-05, 07:04 PM
Keith W
Visiting Guest
Bonding Meter base to Breaker box

Originally Posted by PATTBAA
It is my opinion that a Bonding-bushing located in the Service -panel is sufficient to "Bond"-to-Ground the metallic conduit between the M-S and the S-P.

The Neutral Service Conductor can be used to Ground the M-S enclosure and the metallic raceway that encloses the Service Conductors between the M-S and the utility connection-point.

So in effect, I am not bonding the Meter Base, but the conduit between the MB and BB?

Thanks for the info.

Keith

Old 02-28-05, 09:38 AM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Utilities are funny about grounding the MB. Some require it, some forbid it. I would recommend a call to your utility just to ask the question.

Also, id does not sound like this is a sub-panel, but a completely separate service. If this is true, grounds and neutrals go on the same bus. If it is a sub-panel they must be separate.

Juice

Old 02-28-05, 02:17 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The specfic purpose of the B-B is to Bond-to-Ground the metallic raceway between the M-S and the S-P.

The Neutral lugs for the connections of the Service-Conductors in the M-S are assembled Bonded to the M-S enclosure. THis Grounds the M-S enclosure because the Neutral Service Conductor on the "Line" side of the Service Dis-connecting Means can be used for Grounding purposes.

Old 02-28-05, 05:18 PM
Keith W
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-01-05, 06:15 PM
Keith W
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I called the POCO today. They want the meter base bonded via insulated grounding bushing to the breaker box.

I guess the only "right" answer is to check with your local authority. About half the poeple that I have talked to said " one end only" and the other half "both".

Thanks for the help guys,

Keith

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: