Service Panel / Grounding question?

Old 03-02-05, 12:14 PM
Question Service Panel / Grounding question?

I had my service upgraded several years ago to 200 AMP, and have a grounding question. We put in a new 8' copper grounding rod outside, and have the service panel ground going to that. There is also a copper grounding wire from the Service panel to the cold water copper line. I had upgraded my plumbing from Galvanized to Copper several years ago also, and just now found out I should have used a dielectric union at the splice (inside the basement @ the main gate valve).
When putting this union in, I would assume it would render the copper line ground useless. Questions are, are both the grounds needed for the service panel, or should I use some kind of jumper from the copper to the old Galvanized main pipe (to go passed the dielectric union -- this splice is on the opposite side of the house from the panel)? Thanks in advance for any input!

Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-05, 12:34 PM
Only one is the ground. That would be the rod you installed. The connection to the water line is a bond. It makes certain your water line is at ground potential. It does not act as the ground system. You should install a jumper arounf the dielectric union and around your water meter.

Old 03-02-05, 03:05 PM
Service Panel / Grounding question?

Thanks for the quick response!
What exactly is a "bond"? Also, if the water meter is on the city side (found out the hard way on replacing the septic line!), would I be allowed to do that or would the city be responsible? Thanks again!

Rob

Old 03-02-05, 05:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Actually, if you have city water, and the pipe coming into the house is metallic, (copper, rigid, etc.) then the water pipe MUST be the primary grounding electrode. The connection to this must be made within 5' of where the pipe enters the house. The rod is a required supplemental electrode.
You must add a clamp to jumper around the dielectric union, and any other unions, fittings, filters, softeners, meters to keep continuity.

Old 03-02-05, 08:10 PM
waterfowelman
Visiting Guest
Code Book ?

Speedy Is Right>>ya Have To Look At The Code>>art.250.52..its All There.

Jd.

Old 03-03-05, 09:45 AM
I do not know what a "dialectric-union" is.

There should be near-Zero resistance/impedance between ALL interior metal pipe/tubing assemblys, and the structure's Electrical Grounding System.

Art. 250.104 (B) reads---- "metal piping, including gas-piping, that may become energized, shall be Bonded----"