40amp circuit for an oven

Old 03-03-05, 07:00 AM
tarponslayer
Visiting Guest
40amp circuit for an oven

I just found out my dryer 220V outlet is rated to 40amps. Will this support a household oven if only the oven and not the burners will be used? I posted about making and extension cord but was mistaken that the circuit was only 30amps. My range circuit is 50amps at the breaker but I am assuming this is incase you have all 4 burners and the oven on broil. How do I wire an extension cord from a 4 plug outlet (dryer) to a 3 plug (oven) it looks like the oven has no ground since all 3 leads are flat(its about 20years old) thanks for the input.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-05, 08:02 AM
Once again. DO NOT DO THIS.

Wire a proper circuit.

Extension cords are for temporary use only, and should be avoided. They are not for permanent setups.

Old 03-03-05, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by tarponslayer
I just found out my dryer 220V outlet is rated to 40amps. Will this support a household oven if only the oven and not the burners will be used? I posted about making and extension cord but was mistaken that the circuit was only 30amps. My range circuit is 50amps at the breaker but I am assuming this is incase you have all 4 burners and the oven on broil. How do I wire an extension cord from a 4 plug outlet (dryer) to a 3 plug (oven) it looks like the oven has no ground since all 3 leads are flat(its about 20years old) thanks for the input.
Why do you want to this?

Old 03-03-05, 08:51 AM
tarponslayer
Visiting Guest
You guys are right I was looking for an easy way out but I get the message.

Next idea.

I have my a/c handlers right next to the oven. It is outside the house to be used for powder coating duty only. Can I tap into the box that powers the a/c unit and have it hard wired with a plug by a electrician? I would not try that myself unless its really simple. Thanks for the good advice.

Old 03-03-05, 01:26 PM
You guys are right I was looking for an easy way out but I get the message.
Apparently you didn't get the message

Next idea.

I have my a/c handlers right next to the oven. It is outside the house to be used for powder coating duty only. Can I tap into the box that powers the a/c unit and have it hard wired with a plug by a electrician? I would not try that myself unless its really simple. Thanks for the good advice.
And yet again, DO NOT DO THIS.

If you want to be creative, find an electrician that needs some powder coating done.

Old 03-03-05, 02:00 PM
There really is only one safe way to do this. You need to run a forty ampere range circuit from the panel to the location of that oven. If that circuit is run with copper conductors it would need to be at least #8 American Wire Gage. That circuit will terminate on a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. As this will be a new circuit it will have to be four wires including an Equipment Grounding Conductor. You will then need to change out the cord on the old range to a four wire cord set with a NEMA 14-50P plug on it. These are available prewired at any home center. When you open the back of the range to wire in the new cord you will find a green or bare copper wire or strap connected to the same wire terminal as the white or ridged wire from the old cord. You remove that wire or strap and connect the green wire of the new cord to the same place on the frame that the other end of the bare or green bonding wire is connected to.
--
Tom H