panel

Old 03-04-05, 06:13 AM
nanes72
Visiting Guest
panel

We are moving into a new warehouse and the panel currently has all 10amp breakers for all the receptacle outlets in the warehouse.

I want to change the 10amp breakers to 20amp breakers for receptacles, what needs to be done to do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-05, 06:24 AM
Snape
Visiting Guest
Well for a start you will need to make sure that the wiring is adequate for the load, and also you will need to change the recepticles to take the loads.

Old 03-04-05, 06:31 AM
Rewire all the circuits.

Are you sure they are 10-amp breakers? What country do you live in?

Old 03-04-05, 07:16 AM
nanes72
Visiting Guest
I am in United States and I am sure they are 10amp. Is it expensive to have an electrician do?

Old 03-04-05, 08:49 AM
The rating of the circuit-breaker (C-B), not the ampacity of the circuit-conductors, determines the rating of a Branch-Circuit (B-C). A B-C wired with 20-amp conductors and protected by a 15-amp C-B is a 15-amp B-C.

The NEC requires "de-rating" of B-C conductors in certain commercial installations- a 20-amp conductor is "de-rated" to 15 amps when designing such circuits- #12 wire for a 15-amp load.

I mention this because it's possible the B-C conductors were #14 wire with an ampacity of 15 amps, and an inspector ruled that the #14 wire be "de-rated" to 10 amps.