50 amp receptical

Old 03-04-05, 03:30 PM
Hjudge49
Visiting Guest
50 amp receptical

I am installing a 50 amp receptical to power a motor home. I am planning to use 8 3G wire, and have recieved the receptical itself, but it has no wiring diagram. Anyone know where the ground and neutral wires go? This is a 4 prong receptical with a "d" shaped ground (I assume ) prong at the top and the other three at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-05, 03:48 PM
The terminals are coded.

The green screw gets the ground. The silver is for the neutral. The two brass screws get the red and black. Some receptacles may be marked with words or abbreviations instead.

The D or U shaped pin is indead the ground. The opposite pin is the neutral and the two in between them are the hots.
--
Tom H

Old 03-04-05, 03:49 PM
The two hots will go left and right, to the connections marked "X" and "Y". The neutral will go to the remaining non-grounding connection, marked "W". The ground of course goes to the connection marked "G".

Old 03-04-05, 03:53 PM
Bang bang you shot me down.

Damm. Shaded by John Nelson again. I have to be quicker on the keyboard.
--
Tom H

Old 03-04-05, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's a 50A 220V receptacle, the ground (d-shaped) should be at 12:00, the neutral (white wire) should be at 6:00, and the red and black hot wires should be at 3:00 and 9:00. Also, all of the slots should be vertical on a 50A. I'm not sure if #8 is large enough for 50A, someone else care to verify?

Old 03-04-05, 05:37 PM
#8 Copper is OK

If that #8 is copper than it is fine for fifty amperes. If it is in the form of THHN or cable with XHHW conductors. If you run the circuit as non metallic cable; that most of us call by the trade name Romex; than you will have to use #6 AWG wire because in type NM #8 is limited to forty Amperes.
--
Tom H