aprox cost for electrical work

Old 03-05-05, 04:15 PM
tress1018
Visiting Guest
aprox cost for electrical work

could some pleae give me an estimate of how much it would cost for an electrician to install a 200 amp 40 breaker service panel and 10 new breakers.. my existing one is overloaded and i need a new one... and also 5 can lights for ceiling and 5 halogen lites for under the cabinets.... and two 3 way switches to be installed in my kitchen.. we are going to bump out the recessed ceiling and the joists will be exposed for the can lights... thankls so much.. i just want to make sure everything will fall into my budget before taking on this project... thans so much

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-05, 04:25 PM
The new box will probably cost somewhere between $1000 and $2000. Maybe less if the existing panel is already a 200-amp one.

New breakers don't cost much, but if those new breaker imply new circuits too, then the cost will depend on what is on those circuits, how far away those things are, and how hard it is to get cable between them. Cost also vary quite a bit by area.

So all in all, you're probably looking at "a few" thousand dollars.

Old 03-05-05, 04:44 PM
tress1018
Visiting Guest
ouch! thanks sfor the tip... how much would the other elecrical set me back if you don't mind "guesstimate" i so appreciate you advice.. thanks

Old 03-05-05, 04:49 PM
tress1018
Visiting Guest
thanks john waht about the other work

ouch! thanks for the shocker...now can you guess on how much will it cost me for 5 can lights, and five halogen lites and two three way switches .. the ceiling is ripped off... joist exposed....every penny counts.... thanks

Old 03-05-05, 06:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
IMO this is not something you can even guess over the internet (or even the phone for that matter).
A service is pretty much a standard installation with a few variables. The other work has MANY variables since it is retrofit work. Just because the ceiling is open doesn't make the whole thing different. It does make the installation of the lights themselves considerably easier though.

Old 03-05-05, 06:38 PM
Your best bet is to call a company in your area that specializes in service calls or has a department devoted to it and have them give you an estimate. Some companies only want to deal with new construction, and it's best to keep clear of them. Not that they won't do a good job, but they'll probably want more money.

Old 03-05-05, 09:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For a ballpark comparison, I had a 200A service installed by a reputable electrician to replace an old 60A fuse box this past summer, and the total bill was $1,260. This was a very straightforward install on a ranch house with no complications. I had estimates as high as $1,500, so your milage may vary; especially if your install isn't a straight shot or there are complications.