Ceiling Light Installation

Old 03-06-05, 08:21 AM
Vantika75
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Ceiling Light Installation

Need some help here!

Here's the situation: I've got 2 junction boxes in the kitchen: one has 1 60W bulb attached to it, the other has nothing. Now, I've removed the existing light and I want to put a new fixture into the box that previously had no fixture. With me so far?

The new fixture is from Hampton Bay and has 2 sockets for 60W bulbs. Each socket has a black and a white wire (for a total of 4 wires), plus a copper ground for the entire fixture.

Here's my problem: the box I want to connect the new fixture to also has 4 wires: 2 black and 2 white. I tried wiring 1 black to 1 black & 1 white to 1 white, creating 4 pairs. It sorta worked. Got power to the fixture but it wasn't anywhere close to 60W for each bulb.

Help! Suggestions for getting the full 60W to each bulb?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-05, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's not really enough info to go on. Are these junction boxes regular ceiling boxes that were original to the house?
If they are, you need to determine if the box you want to add the light to is switched. If it is switched, you need to determine which set of wires in the box are your source power and which set goes to the switch (you will need to post back for how to wire).
If the box is not switched (fixture has switch on it), then wiring is simple, you will connect all 6 blacks and all 6 whites.

Brian

Old 03-06-05, 11:57 AM
How were the wires already in the junction box connected before you tried to connect to them.

How about describing all the wiring while you are at it.