Getting more power to the 2nd floor.

Old 03-07-05, 08:08 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Getting more power to the 2nd floor.

I have an older home, still has some of the "knob & tube" wires in use. I am not touching those but want to get more outlets to the second floor. The only way I can see doing it is running it up the space where my plumbing is going from the basement to the second floor bath. Is there any reason this is a bad idea to have plumbing and electricity running side by side?

Also, if I have room in my breaker box for more breakers does that mean that I can add them. Or is there some math involve in that I can only have so many amps in breakers for the ampage coming in to the box? For example, if I only have 100 amp service can I only have 150 amps of breakers in my panel, get my question?

Thanks,
Jones

Old 03-07-05, 08:13 PM
zenmasterj
Visiting Guest

If you have a 100Amp service, that's the total that can run through it. You could have 40 20Amp breakers if you wanted to, (although that wouldn't be smart) as long as the total load running through the panel is less than 100Amps. That many circuits would be more prone to push you over that 100, however. Definitely don't try to cheat and get a bigger fuse/breaker and leave the same main service wiring, however.

As for the plumbing question, I'm not sure, I'm just another DIYer. My house has them running side by side, and it shouldn't be a problem as long as the wiring is done properly and properly insulated.

Jon

Old 03-08-05, 04:27 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can have whatever breakers you want in your panel. All that matters is the total current being pulled at any one time.

You can run wiring to the second floor up the plumbing chase. However, be careful that thew wiring does not become damaged by the plumbing, and be careful that you do not run too many cables tightly bundled.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: