adding new circuit using type mc cable

Old 03-06-05, 03:16 PM
adding new circuit using type mc cable

I plan to add a new dedicated circuit to supply a new outlet in the living room. I am considering running type MC cable from the main breaker panel, along the unfinished basement ceiling, and then above into the outlet located in a wall of the living room.

The cable will have to run at right angles to the direction of the joists in the basement ceiling. I don't want to bore holes in the joists for running the cable. I would rather run the cable across the bottom of the joists. If I was using Romex/NM cable, I understand I would have to attach it along a running board for protection of the cable.

Question: If I use MC cable across the bottom of the joists, is it still required/recommended to use a running board to protect the cable?

I checked my copy of Wiring Simplified (2002 NEC edition) but it didn't seem to say whether this applied to MC cable.

thanks,
Brent

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-05, 03:20 PM
A running board is not required for MC. Visit your public library reference section and read article 330 of the NEC for all the rules regarding the use of MC.

Old 03-07-05, 05:24 AM
Thx for the info. Will check NEC art. 330 before proceeding...

Brent