Power on, breaker off !!??

Old 03-07-05, 09:23 AM
colden
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Power on, breaker off !!??

I have an electrically heated floor in the bathroom (warmlyyours brand). It stopped working after a year. I removed the thermostat cover when a neutral wire smoked and melted a plastic wire nut. Figured something had been loose. So I thought I'd turn the breaker off, and I did...ALL of them except for the main switch, but the circuit is still live!

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-05, 09:50 AM
How exactly are you judging that the circuit is still live? Are you using a digital multimeter? And when you said you turned the circuit breakers all off, do you mean all off at the same time, or all off one at a time?

Old 03-07-05, 11:40 AM
colden
Visiting Guest
I knew because all the breakers were turned off and the thermostat circuit was apparently shared by 2 lights. That's how I knew. The lights stayed on even though I turned the breakers off--all except the 220 v. ones. Anyway, I decided to call an electrician. He found out that the circuit was wired to a 220v double breaker! Three other circuits were also doubled up inside the breaker box. So he added 3 breakers and fixed the problem. Now I'm waiting to see if the thermostat works since the innards may have been fried. Moral here is be careful with helpful relatives.