Doorbell doesn't work - faulty wiring?

Old 03-07-05, 08:45 PM
youngvet
Visiting Guest
Doorbell doesn't work - faulty wiring?

I'm hoping someone can help me with my doorbell. I've replaced the transformer and it IS working. I've also replaced the chime and a new doorbell push button for the front of the house. The problem is, when I connect the low voltage wiring to the chime, transformer, and doorbell.....nothing. The door bell is a lighted one, and the light for the button isn't coming on. I've touched the two wires at the doorbell button together to try and activate the chime, but still nothing. I'm assuming at this point that the low voltage wiring somewhere between the chime and the doorbell is faulty. Any ideas? And how do I go about checking or replacing the wire? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-05, 04:29 AM
Test the wires with a multimeter.

However, I think you already know that they are open.

Old 03-08-05, 06:41 AM
If you can't find the problem, consider a wireless doorbell.

Old 03-08-05, 07:56 AM
youngvet
Visiting Guest
Is it a very difficult job to replace the wire between the chime and the doorbell? I'm assuming it is since I've been told to get a wireless doorbell by numerous people.

Old 03-08-05, 08:21 AM
How do you know the problem is between the chime and the button? It may be between the the transformer and the button, or the transformer and the chime.

Find the problem first.

How easy it is to replace the wires depends on many factors. Among them, where do the wires run, and can you get to them. Usually they run to the basement.